The Discovered Attack
This is a chess tutorial about the discovered attack. If you overlook this attack you can lose the game right away. Train your mental eye to spot it. You can use this knowledge to win games.
Hover with your mouse over the diagrams then you should see the solution.
|1) White moves
||2) Black moves (Issakow-Nikitin/1947) ||
|3) Black moves (Kashdan-Horowitz/NewYork 1939)
||4) White moves (Furman-Smyslow/Moskow 1949) ||
|5) White moves (A.Herbstman,1948)
||6) White moves ||
|7) Black moves
||8) White moves (Torre-Lasker/Moskau 1925)||
|9) White moves (I.Hoch/1973)
||10) White moves (Tschigorin-Gunsberg/Havanna/1890) |
1) 1.Rc8 Rxa 2.Kb6+! and the rook is lost.
2) 1..Qd3+! KxQ 2.BxB+ and Black recaptures the queen after and has regained its piece and is a pawn up.
3) 1...Bxf1+!! 2.QxQ Rxf2+ 3.Kh1 Bg2+ 4.Kg1 Rxe2+ 5.Kh2 Bf3+ and Black recaptures his queen and wins
4) 1.Nxg+ QxN 2.Rxc4+ Qg7 3.QxQ KxQ 4.Rc7+ Kf6 5.f4 big advantage for white.
5) 1.Rd5+! Kc6 (1...KxR? 2.c4+ with loss of queen)2.Rc5+! Kb6 3.Rb5+! Ka6 4.Ra5+! Black can't win...draw
6) 1.Bxh7+ Kh8 2.Bg6+ Kg8 3.Qh7+ Kf8 4.Qf7+#
7) 1...Rxg2+ 2.KxR Nc3 and wins the queen.
8) 1.Bf6! QxQ 2.Rxg7+ Kh8 3.Rxf7+ Kg8 4.Rg7+ Kh8 5.Rxb7+ Kg8 6.Rg7+ Kh8 7.Rg5+ Kh7 8.RxQ and White wins.
9) 1.Rf5+ Kb4 2.Rf4+ and White wins the queen.
10)1.Qe6+ Kh8 2.Bxf! Qg5 3.f4! Qxf 4.QxQ RxQ 5.KxB and White has more material and wins. Here Black had no time to start the mechanics of the discovered attack.
Back to - Chess Tactics
Go from - Chess Tutorial - to Chess Strategies - Home